What is Fluoride?
Fluoride is a natural occurring mineral that is found in every water source on the planet from lakes and springs, to rivers and oceans. It is found along the Earth’s crust and is broadly dispersed within nature. Fluoride is an ionic compound that is derived from fluorine and is solely the most reactive element in existence. As I mentioned before it can be found along the earth’s crust, as it is found in many rocks and such. In fact, approximately 95% of the earth’s fluoride supply is retrieved from phosphorite rock.
The fluoridation of water was an idea initially introduced sometime back in the 1940’s. It is a process that is officially supported by the AMA, or the American Medical Association, the American Dental Association, as well as the CDC (Center for Disease Control).
Fluoridation of Water
In the United States fluoride is added to the majority of the public water supply. Water fluoridation is the measured addition of fluoride to the public water supply. This was initially performed under the belief that by adding fluoride to the public drinking water, it could effectively prevent cavities by operating on the tooth’s surface, creating minimal levels of fluoride within our saliva to reduce the amount of demineralization of our teeth. Demineralization at a high rate is what opens your teeth up to the potential for the formation of cavities. It was in 2011 that The World Health Organization suggested adding fluoride to our water, at a level of 0.5-1.5mg/L.
The process of fluoridation does not have an impact on the overall taste, appearance, or smell of your drinking water. The main goal that was initially addressed when the decision was made to fluoridate our water, was to help support the oral health of poor families who otherwise do not have easy access to the compound, or proper dental care. The idea was to provide them with the recommended amount of fluoride in order to prevent major decay and cavity infestation.
While water fluoridation has the support of many official groups associated with both medical and dental care, there are many that oppose the process for a wide variety of reasons. The majority of water fluoridation opponents claim that this is an unprecedented method for involuntarily medicating the masses. This is due in large part to the fact that fluoride is added not only without general consent, but in some cases, without the public even having any knowledge about it.
Another issue that has been cited is that we have access to toothpaste that contains fluoride. Since there are those who work hard labor, or have kidney issues, that consume large amounts of water; all of this fluoride could in fact be quite harmful. After all, adding a substance like fluoride to something that is used so often and by everybody, makes it quite difficult and near impossible to control the dose that is being consumed by people everywhere, on a daily basis. This is a cause for concern as some believe that excess amounts of fluoride can actually be linked to a number of health problem. Obviously too much of anything is a problem; especially when it comes to medication like substances.
The Very Real Dangers of Fluoride
Since the inception of the idea to fluoridate the public water supply and the actual implementation there have been many questions raised as to whether or not this process is really serving a positive purpose.
Despite popular belief to the contrary, the dangers of fluoride are real, and it is important that you stay informed on subjects such as these to protect yourself, as well as your family. You might be surprised just how much fluoride you and your family are taking in from a variety of sources that you would not expect. Here is a list of some of the most popular items containing fluoride:
- Toothpaste with fluoride
- Foods cooked in fluoride
- Canned soup
- Processed chicken
- Food cooked in Teflon
- Fruit juice
- Beer and wine
- Processed/canned food
- Fluoridated salt
Of course, any food or beverages that you make with you water supply is also going to contain fluoride; unless of course you have a proper filter to purify your water prior to it being used or consumed. Next, we will take a look at the top dangers presented by the consumption of fluoride.
- The Internal Buildup of Fluoride – As we drink from our tap, fluoride begins to accumulate in our bodies. On average our kidneys are able to rid your body of 50-60% of the fluoride we consume. The rest of it is left to buildup in the bones or in the pineal gland. The real danger here is that babies and younger children do not have this capability. Instead most of the fluoride they take in ends up remaining in their little bodies; up to 80% in fact. This concentration of fluoride builds up in their bones over the course of their lives.
- The Risks of Fluoride and Bottle Fed Babies – If you choose not to breastfeed your baby, no problem. After all, it is our choice and formula supplements breast milk just fine. The only problem here is the fact that our water is fluoridated. As I mentioned before, fluoride builds up in the bodies of babies and young children, and takes up residence in their bones. Since babies have almost an entirely liquid diet. Babies in their infancy will require up to 8 bottles a day. When you are feeding your baby formula, it is typically mixed with 8 ounces of tap water. As you can see, their total intake of fluoride is quite high. Because of this, babies are at a higher risk of dental fluorosis later on in life. Therefore, doctors recommend feeding our babies formula mixed with well-filtered water. Even those in support of fluoridated water recommend using low-fluoride of fluoride free water to feed our young children.
- Fluoride in Relation to Reproduction Problems – It has been seen through the course of animal testing that when male animals were given large amounts of fluoride their reproductive systems virtually ended up destroyed. This is due to the fact that fluoride kills sperm cells, and reduces the rate of infertility. In addition, epidemiology studies have been performed on the subject and have proven that the infertility rates among couples living in areas with high concentrations of fluoride, at 3 ppm or more, were higher than those in areas with lesser concentrations of the controversial substance. Two other studies exemplified that there was a reduced level of testosterone circulating through a man’s body who has been exposed to large amounts of fluoride. Lastly, workers exposed to fluoride riddled water on the job showed a subclinical reproductive effect.
- Fluoride in Relation to Brain Damage – Studies have shown that fluoride interferes with the way our brains function—scary huh? Well, it is a fact that there existt6 substantial amounts of evidence of developmental neurotoxicity among people exposed to large amounts of fluoride; especially when they are exposed early on in infancy. Again, when animals were exposed to fluoridated water, they experienced difficulty with their mental states and behaviors. Exposure to fluoride has also been linked to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Lowered IQ and Fluoridated Water – There have been countless studies performed in the area of fluoride in relation to lower IQ’s performed all over the globe. Countries like China, Iran, Mexico, and India have taken it upon themselves to research this topic. These studies resulted in the proof that children who are exposed to high levels of fluoride for substantial periods, their IQ scores were less than those exposed to lesser amounts.
- Fluoride Influencing Early Puberty – Not only has a link been discovered between prenatal fluoride exposure and fetal brain damage, but also within visual-spatial organization. With depression and insomnia on the rise in the United States, it is also important to note that fluoride can decrease your brains natural production of melatonin: the chemical that tells your body it is time to sleep. Lack of sleep can increase feelings of depression. In addition, the fact that fluoride impacts the pineal gland, that makes it more likely for a child to experience the early onset of puberty.
- Fluoride Impacting the Functionality of Your Thyroid Gland – Fluoride is capable of negatively impacting the thyroid gland and how well it functions. Patients that were otherwise healthy who were exposed to fluoride were seen to have decreased thyroid function.
- Fluoride and Arthritis – With arthritis already effecting so many of us, you should know that fluoride can actually worsen the condition, or even contribute to its cause. Skeletal fluorosis is prevalent in countries with high exposure to fluoride and causes a weakening of the bones, which can lead to arthritis and joint pain.
- Fluoride and Bone Damage – Children who are exposed to fluoride in their early childhood years are more susceptible to fractures and broken bones. Multiple studies have been done that proved this theory. In fact, kids exposed to higher levels of fluoride have two times the risk for broken bones.
- Fluoride and Hip Fractures in Seniors - Fluoride can danger your bones so much so, that senior who have ingested enough fluoride in their lifetimes are actually more susceptible to hip fractures. Unfortunately, there was a time when doctors believed that fluoride could strengthen bones and help combat osteoporosis. Instead, these patients became more susceptible to fractures.
What is the Solution to This Poisonous Problem?
If you wish to take back control of your health and stop ingesting substances that could potentially harm you and your children in the long run, you better start considering the alternatives to tap water.
For starters, you could try avoiding the food components I mentioned earlier that may contain fluoride. To recap, these include canned and processed foods, coffee, tea, formula, foods cooked in Teflon, etc. And when it comes to cooking pasta, rice, or any other thing that requires water, the answer is simple: grocery stores worldwide sell water in bottles and jugs, that is filtered prior to sale. Also, spring water is a safe bet for avoiding this nasty substance. Beyond that you can try using a water distillation system, or a good water filter to save you money and make your tap water safe again.
Water Filters for the Elimination of Fluoride
At Ultra Pure we aim to provide our customers with the tools they need to properly filter their water and make it safe for themselves and their families to consume. Our bodies need water, and the last thing we need is to worry about whether or not it is safe to drink. Our water filtration systems provide a clean, healthy, delicious quality of drinking water that you can both drink and cook with. We are a leader in water treatments, and provide completely chemical free results that you can trust. Our reverse osmosis procedures remove any suspended particles and flavoring agents, as well as any potentially harmful pollutants.
Our wide range of products includes: reverse osmosis systems, bench top filters, shower filters, under sink filters, and alkaline filters. In addition we also offer affordable personal filtration systems like camping filters, filtering water bottles, and filtering pitchers for storing in the fridge at home, and/or, at work. This way you always have a healthy water option. Our products are guaranteed and more affordable then many of the alternatives.
If you are ready to change the way you cook and consume water, visit www.ultrapure.co.au. Check out are wide selection of water filtration systems, and recent news on new water studies and testing. Or, if you just wish to learn more about the benefits of drinking filtered water, check out our water facts tab. We are sure to answer any of the questions you might have. Make a change today and ensure the health of you and your family with a high quality water filter.